The Carter G. Woodson Home
National Historic Site
Carter G. Woodson Birthday Celebration
December 19, 2013
Join ASALH, the National Park Service, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, and Shiloh Baptist Church as we remember and celebrate our Founder Dr. Carter G. Woodson.
Thursday - 6:00 - 8:00 PM,
Shiloh Baptist Church 1500 9th Street, NW,
Watch for more announcements on other special guests who will attend.
We look forward to seeing you on the 19th!
About the Woodson Home
Dr. Carter G. Woodson directed ASALH’s operations from his home located at 1538 Ninth Street, NW,
Washington, DC, from 1915 until his death in 1950, and ASALH was headquartered in the building until
1970. The house was the center for educating the nation’s history and culture. Working out of this building,
Dr.Woodson managed ASALH’s day-to-day operations, published periodicals (the
Negro History Bulletin and the Journal of Negro History), operated a book publishing company (Associated
Publishers), trained researchers and educators, and pursued his own research and writing about African
Dr. Carter G. Woodson’s home was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976 for its national
significance in African American cultural heritage. Now, as a result of legislation enacted in 2003, Dr.Woodson’
s home will be established as a National Historic Site and visitor attraction operated by the U.S. Department
of Interior, National Park Service. Dr. Woodson’s home is the 389th site in the National Park System, and it is
one of the 19 sites expressly dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of African American history.
For more information, please visit the National Park Service website.
Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton was instrumental in championing the concept of establishing Dr.
Woodson’s home as a National Historic Site. ASALH thanks for her stalwart support and assistance in
protecting this national treasure.
Dr. Woodson’s Home
The building is a fine example of a Victorian row house. It is three stories high with a raised basement,
providing an authentic example of a popular architectural style characteristic of Washington, DC in the 1890’s.
Dr.Woodson’s home is located in the historic Shaw neighborhood of Washington, DC. This area has been
identified as the “Heart of the African American Community in Washington” and numerous buildings of
historical a nd cultural significance are located within walking distance. For example, the Phyllis Wheatley
YWCA, the Shiloh Baptist Church, the Mary McLeod Bethune Council House, the African American Civil War
Memorial, the historic Lincoln Theater, and Howard University are all nearby. The building also is a short walk
from the Washington, DC convention center.
Development of the Historic Site
On May 11, 1976, Dr.Woodson’s home was designated a National Historic Landmark.
In 2000, legislation was enacted authorizing the National Park Service to conduct a resource study to
evaluate the suitability and feasibility of designating the Woodson home as a National Historic Site. (Public
Law 106-349, 114 Stat. 1359, October 24, 2000)
The National Park Service issued its special resource study of the Carter G. Woodson Home in June of 2002.
This lengthy report documented the significance of the Woodson home and evaluated various options for
future management of the site by the National Park Service. The study concluded that Dr.Carter G.
Woodson’s home was suitable for inclusion in the National Park System as National Historic Site or as an
affiliated area because of Dr. Woodson’s place in American history as a preeminent educator, historian, and
the father of African American history.
In 2003, legislation was enacted authorizing the National Park Service to acquire Dr. Carter G. Woodson’s
home and establish it as a National Historic Site within the National Park System. (Public Law 108-192, 117
Stat. 2873, December 19, 2003) The legislation also authorized the National Park Service to acquire several
building adjacent to Dr.Woodson’s home and to incorporate them into the Woodson Home National Historic
Site. In addition, the legislation provides for ASALH to use a portion of the historic site for its administrative
purposes in order to maintain the historical connection between the association and Dr. Woodson’s home.
In June 2005, the National Park Service acquired Dr.Woodson's home from ASALH. On February 27, 2006,
the building was officially dedicated as the Carter G. Woodson Home National Historic Site, the 389th unit of
the National Park System. The National Park Service will be restoring the building and developing a visitor
center for the historic site.
Photo of D.C./Prince Georges County, MD Local Branch Leadership: (from left)
Sylvia Y. Cyrus, Executive Director, ASALH
Janet Sims-Wood, Vice President for Membership, ASALH; President, Bethel-Dukes Branch
Elnora Lewis, President, Carter G. Woodson Branch
Dorothy Bailey, President, Prince Georges County Truth Branch
Merrill Smith, President, Van McCoy Legacy Branch
E.A. Jackson, Van McCoy Legacy Branch
Natalie Howard, President, C. Delores Tucker Branch