Be a Part of History - Share Our Stories - Connect
Be a Memphis ASALH Volunteer
Help us share Memphis hospitality and history with more than 1,000 scholars, educators,
community members, students, researchers and active citizens from around the world who will
participate in more than 170 fascinating presentations and informative dialogues about African
life and history.
- Greeters: Greeters will be stationed throughout the hotel directing people and maintaining the flow of attendees.
- Academic Session Monitors: Stationed inside session room, assist speaker as needed, check name badges, assure proper signage posted at door and alert designated persons of any problems with audio visual equipment, seating, etc.
- On-Site Registration Volunteers: On-Site registration consists of a bank of computers where conventioneers can register on-line by cash, check or credit card. Volunteers for this area must be computer savvy.
- Pre-Registration Volunteers: Distribute conference badges, name badges and other registration materials to conventioneers that pre-registered for the conference.
- Meal Event Volunteers: Support meal functions by checking name badges to make sure that no one enters without the proper identification, assist attendees in locating seating
- Staff Office Volunteers: This person will be stationed in the ASALH Office throughout the Conference. Knowledge of MS Office programs is a plus.
- Teachers Workshop / Youth Day Volunteers: Provide support for these activities.
- Set-up and Breakdown Volunteers: This team will be responsible for helping set-up the Staff and Registration Offices and will assist in breaking down these rooms at the very end of the conference.
- Serious minded, helpful, flexible, courteous, and committed.
- Wear appropriate attire during your shift. Black bottoms, white collared shirts, and comfortable, closed toed shoes. All black for banquet volunteers.
- Attend a volunteer training session
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to your shift.
- Check-in and out at the volunteer check-in desk.
Volunteer Training Dates:
- Volunteer Preview Meetings (Meet the Volunteer Committee and get your questions answered about volunteering at the ASALH Conference.)
- August Local Arrangement Committee Meeting, August 21, 2014, 6:00 PM, LeMoyne-Owen College
- Early September (Date TBA) LeMoyne-Owen College
- Hands-On Volunteer Training Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 6:00 PM, Peabody Hotel
Click here for the volunteer registration form.